Is Taking Multivitamins and Minerals Supplements Necessary and Safe?
Multivitamin is not a magic bullet. It just fills your nutrient gaps, as the usual diet for most people doesn’t give enough vitamins and minerals.
How to know if you are deficient in certain vitamins and minerals?
If you are not eating a balanced, whole-food diet, there’s a high chance your body is lacking in important nutrients. And, although you do eat well, factors such as your age and certain health conditions like digestive issues can affect your body’s ability to absorb the nutrients in your food.
Keep in mind; it’s recommended to talk about your diet with your health care provider to learn more if you are having nutritional deficiencies.
How can you know what brand to buy?
Reputable products or store brands from a trusted retailer will help guarantee a product’s safety. In addition, these companies have already invested a lot of time, effort and funds to make certain that their products live up to their status.
As my husband works in a BPO industry, I needed to make sure that I exert more effort in taking care of his health. One effort is finding the right supplement to for his health as he’s also a picky eater.
As most health providers recommend, we have considered taking Centrum Advance as a supplement. Until, one day I came up with this research.
Now, let me share what I found out about Centrum multivitamin. If it is worth our money and if it is to be trusted when it comes to nutritional supplement.
What would you find in most Centrum multivitamins and minerals?
- Calcium as Calcium Carbonate: has the smallest amount absorbable form of calcium on the market
- Magnesium as Magnesium Oxide: cheapest form of magnesium.
- Iron as Ferrous Fumarate: constipating form of iron
- Vitamin E as DL-Alpha Tocopherol: They are using two forms of vitamin E; The “D” form which is natural and the “L” Form which is synthetic.
- The B vitamins: They claim that there is 1.1 mg to 15mg per vitamin, a concentration so low as to have no impact on energy levels.
- Nickelous Sulfate and Tin
Some Non-Active/Harmful Ingredients on Most Centrum Pill: Serve as binding agents and colorants used to make Centrum pill a pill.
- Pregelatinized Corn Starch: Most probable a genetically modified corn.
- Talc: Implicated with increased risk of cancer.
- BHT: This has been revealed to be toxic to the liver, thyroid, kidney, lungs, and affecting blood coagulation.
- Yellow 6: Side effects of ingestion can include gastric upset, diarrhea, vomiting, and it’s also linked to hyperactivity in young children.
- Red 40: includes chemical compounds that research has linked with cancer.
- Hydrogenated Palm Oil: Associated with increased risk of cancer and heart disease.
- Sodium Benzoate: It is recognized to specifically attack the mitochondria of DNA.
- Sodium Aluminosilicate: used as a food additive for its anti caking effect.
You will see that a number of non-active ingredients in Centrum. So, is Centrum a supplement or just a toxic chemical?
Yes and No. And one should take note that you should keep the additives, preservatives, binding agents, food dyes and other harmful ingredients out when it comes to your nutrient intakes.
Researchers usually refer to them as safe in small doses, but you’re taking a daily dose. That adds up. Now, do you want your supplement to cause further harm to your health?
In conclusion, do you eat a well-balanced diet? If you do, you may not need a multivitamin. But if you think you have a nutritional deficiency, better to take a lot of research before taking any supplement.
Weigh the potential benefits and risks of a multivitamin and mineral supplement for you.
All in all making sure that you have a well-balanced diet, regular exercise, and a healthy productive lifestyle is more likely to help your overall health condition.
In the end, I am more vigilant now when it comes to what I give my family. I needed to exert more effort making sure that my love ones are always healthy. Tough one, especially if your loved one is a little stubborn, mine does, but we should always give our best to take care of them.
Posted on: October 29, 2016, by : Neldy